Skip to content Skip to navigation

Cambridge, Trinity College, B. 14. 52

Present Location: 
B. 14. 52
Medieval Provenance: 
Decoration Description: 

Rubrics and some capital letters that introduce Latin in the text are written in red. The first letter of a homily is enlarged and written in red or sometimes green (fols 10r/1, 12r/12, 20v/10, 28r/4, 31r/5, 38r/1, 53v/1, 57r/8). At fol. 30r/10, the new item is not fully differentiated from the one which precedes it, and it begins with an enlarged black initial instead of a coloured one. The Poema Morale has an enlarged red opening initial and a capital letter, positioned in the margin, beginning each line. 'AMEN' is written at the end of the poem in display capitals and touched in red (Wilcox 2000, p. 18).

Binding Description: 

According to the binder's note on the back flyleaf, the manuscript was rebound and repaired in October 1984 by the Cockerell Bindery. The current binding (146 mm x 115 mm) retains the original dark brown leather binding over pulp boards, the embossed coat of arms of Archbishop Whitgiftin gold on the front and back and the fittings for two brass clasps on the front and back. The title 'Homiliæ AngliCæ--MS.' is gold-tooled on the spine, with 'B' '14' and '52' in black ink on white stickers at top, middle and bottom of the spine. There are wormholes on the rear boards, none of which have penetrated. The pages have gilded edges.

On the final flyleaf is the note from the binder: 'DC6820 Condition when received: binding rebacked dark brown calf, over pulp boards, a very heavy impression of arms in gold on both boards, most of the gold missing, two clasps clasping on the back board, crossover missing, red lettering piece. Book sewn on four white thongs, thongs broken, sewing broken, gatherings free, vellum leaves in good condition though very heavily cropped, coloured edges. Book taken down, damaged leaves guarded and repaired, resewn on four cords to the old marking up. The old boards repaired and laced on. The spine covered with brown calf.' (Wilcox 2000, p. 16).

Accompanying Material: 

Fol. 1v contains the fifteenth-century inscription 'Rithmus anglicus cum omiliis anglicis in hoc volumine | continentur'. This inscription is picked up by a heading 'Rithmus Anglicus' in a probably sixteenth-century hand on fol. iiv.

Fol. 88r contains two names in a fifteenth-century hand identified by Hill 1966 as 'Ser Thomas Stone (or Stow)' and 'Ser John Newson' (p. 200), although Laing and McIntosh 1995 read the second name as 'John Newbore' (p. 43).

Fol. 1r contains a sixteenth-century table of contents, keyed to the early foliation.

Fol. 1v contains an astrological dating and six lines of Latin hexameters and pentameters, signed 'WP' or 'WL'. Hill 1966 identifies this as the work of William Patten (fol. 1528-1590) written out by his son, Thomas (b. 1561). Hill identifies the dating formula as 23rd September 1583, the date of Archbishop John Whitgift's enthronement at Canterbury. At the foot of the page is 11 lines of a letter written in English recommending the writer of the above verses to 'yor grace' for his knowledge of the antiquities and his knowledge of Armenian. Hill 1966 suggests that the scholar is William Patten, a sixteenth-century Humanist scholar, and that the letter may have been from Henry Carey, Lord Chamberlain Hunsdon (1524?-1596) to Archbishop Whitgift or possibly Archbishop Parker (p. 195).

There are interlinear and marginal glosses in six different hands (Hill 1966, pp. 193-4) and extensive pencilled underlining and annotations, particularly pencilled cross-references to variations on the phrase 'was teames atold' (Wilcox 2000, p. 15).

The flyleaves include an extensive doctrinal index to Quires 2-11 in the hand of Abraham WhelockCambridge University's first lecturer in Anglo-Saxon (1593-1653). The same hand wrote an inscription on fol. iv: 'Hic codex MS. fidem protestantium in permultis | multum ornat. Legi & | perlegi. A. W.'

    Fol. ir contains three shelf-marks of Trinity College Library: 'R. 15. 17' (deleted), a number scribbled over and 'B. 14. 52'. On fol. 1v is the modern Trinity College Cambridge Library stamp.